Thursday, January 19, 2012

White Heron


White Heron ©  2012       20"x20"     Acrylic on board     300.00 framed


I did a painting on card board this morning, yes card board  (shame on me, I completely agree!). The inspiration was actually the frame. It is a 3" wide natural wood tone with lines running from the inner edge to the outer. It looks very "grassy" and a bit tropical. The frame shop's mistake, my inspiration.  

The piece measures about 20"x20" and was an absolute joy to do. If it was a picture of an owl, I would have said it was an absolute hoot to do. I think I am going to do a series of animal/bird close ups in this size range. I love squares, as many artists do. I will have to see where my photo research takes me as far as shapes of boards.

I detest acrylics, not that there is anything wrong with them, this is in acrylic. Tons of fun. A great escape from my normal tiny pastel work and portrait commissions. I highly recommend a painting on a piece of cardboard for all painters who need a break from the same thing. Fun, repetitive pattern in the board that you can play around with. OK, I know...totally against everything archival I have ever learned. 


1 comment:

  1. Love this! I can definetly see a whole series of these. Anything can be inspiration, archival or not. Remember I did that self portrait on a brown paper bag? It now hangs in my basement stairwell. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete